The Prime Minister has announced measures (see below) to fight COVID-19. Lesotho will go into lockdown from midnight March 29 to April 21, 2020. The Embassy will continue to offer emergency services to American citizens provided such assistance can be conducted under the currently scheduled lockdown mandate. Please contact USConsularMaseru@state.gov with any emergency requests or inquiries.
The following essential services will remain operational:
Water, power and fuel
– All social gatherings are banned except for funerals where not more than 50 people are expected to attend.
– All forms of entertainment and sporting activities have been stopped.
– Unnecessary trips outside the country should be curtailed. This guideline includes both Basotho and diplomats.
– All those who are currently visiting other countries must shelter in place except for those who are transporting medical and other essential services.
– Media houses / journalists who peddle wrong or misleading information about COVID 19 will be prosecuted and their media houses might face closure.
– Where loss of life occurs in relation to COVID 19, the government will be guided by WHO regulations and Public Health Order of 1970.