Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Lesotho (October 4, 2022)
Location: Lesotho, Countrywide
Event: The Kingdom of Lesotho will be conducting General Elections on October 07, 2022, in which all 120 National Assembly seats will be contested. Lesotho security services will increase visible presence throughout the country and the police may implement situation dependent traffic restrictions during the elections season. The possibility of impromptu protests and prolonged traffic congestion are always present.
U.S. citizens may encounter security checkpoints and should be prepared to be stopped and identified by security forces, both in uniform and plainclothes. It is recommended that U.S. citizens avoid large public gatherings and unnecessary movement. U.S. persons are encouraged to maintain a high state of personal security awareness by taking the following precautions.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas of protests and demonstrations.
- Exercise caution and remain vigilant.
- Avoid crowds.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Carry proper identification.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Always keep the doors to your residence or temporary lodging locked, even when at home.
- Always drive with your windows rolled up and doors locked.
- Review alternative travel routes in case of unexpected protests or unrest.
- Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your security.
- In anticipation of the possible closure of commercial retail stores, ensure that your residence is stocked with at least five days of emergency rations (food, potable water, fuel, medical supplies, and toiletries).
U.S. Embassy Maseru, Lesotho
254 Kingsway Road Maseru
U.S. Citizen Services – U.S. Embassy in Lesotho (usembassy.gov)
State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 for calls from the United States or Canada
+1-202-501-4444 for calls from overseas (Lesotho)