Location: Kofi Anan at the Thetsane Industrial Area (near the portion of Kofi Anan Road before the circle at the Puma garage)
Event: Security Unlimited has reported that workers’ union protests from last week have been reignited due to remaining unsettled disputes.
There have been confirmed reports of stones being thrown into the road by protesters and tires being lit on fire. Vehicles are moving slowly through this area on the main road. Police are present in the area. Please be aware of the stones on the road to avoid damage to your vehicle.
The main road is not accessible from Thetsane Puma garage up to the U Save at HaHohlo. Drivers are using the dirt road to cross to the Masupa area.
The Embassy will continue monitoring the situation. Please be aware that it is possible that such protests will continue in the morning and drivers should consider using alternative routes for their morning commute if it in the affected area.
Expect heavier than normal vehicular traffic in the surrounding areas and increased police presence.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Maseru, Lesotho
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- Lesotho Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.