Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program Overview
The Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program brings accomplished mid-level professionals to the United States for ten months of combined academic (Non-Degree) and professional work. Fellows are selected based on potential for leadership and commitment to public service.
Successful applicants who submitted their applications during the 2021 application season will be placed at participating universities in the United States from August 2022 to June 2023.
The Fellowship Program fosters a mutual exchange of knowledge and understanding about issues of common concern in the United States and Lesotho by providing future leaders and policy makers with experience in U.S. society, culture, and professional fields, the program provides a basis for lasting, productive ties between Americans and their professional counterparts in Lesotho. It also offers valuable opportunities for leadership development and professional engagement with Americans and their counterparts from many nations. Approximately 200 Fellowships are awarded annually and 18 major universities in the United States host Humphrey Fellows.
Fields of Research Study
Fellowships are available in the following fields:
- Agricultural and Rural Development
- Economic Development
- Educational Administration, Planning and Policy
- Finance and Banking
- Higher Education Administration
- HIV/AIDS Policy and Prevention
- Human Resource Management
- Law and Human Rights
- Natural Resources, Environmental Policy, and Climate Change
- Public Health Policy and Management
- Public Policy Analysis and Public Administration
- Substance Abuse Education, Treatment and Prevention
- Teaching of English as a Foreign Language
- Technology Policy and Management
- Trafficking in Persons Policy and Prevention
- Urban and Regional Planning
To be eligible for a Humphrey Fellowship, applicants must have:
- A first university degree (Bachelor’s degree)
- Five years of substantial professional experience
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and a record of public service
- Fluency in English
- Limited or no prior experience in the United States
- A record of public service in the community
The Hubert Humphrey Fellowship provides:
- Round-trip economy international travel for the grantee.
- Tuition and university fees.
- Limited accident and sickness insurance for the grantee only.
The Humphrey Program does not provide financial support for accompanying dependents.
Applications for the 2022 Humphrey Fellowship program will be accepted starting Monday, July 12, 2021. Applications will close at 5:00 pm SAST on Tuesday, August 31, 2021. Selected candidates will begin their Fellowship program in the United States in August of 2022.
To apply, please submit a five-page program plan, CV and academic transcripts via email at InfoMaseru@state.gov. The subject line should read as follows: Humphrey Application + your full name + your selected field of study. The U.S. Embassy in Maseru will not accept in-person application packets.
Following the initial application submission to the U.S. Embassy in Maseru, shortlisted candidates will be instructed to proceed with an online application. The Embassy will provide the relevant information required for starting an online application only to shortlisted candidates.
Do not start an online application without the approval of the U.S. Embassy in Maseru, failure to apply via the Embassy first will automatically disqualify your application.
Please contact the Public Affairs Section at U.S. Embassy Maseru via phone at (+266) 2231-2666 or via email at InfoMaseru@state.gov for more information about the Humphrey Fellowship program.