Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Maseru (October 13, 2021)
Location: Lesotho – All Ports of Entry
Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 80,000 reported cases worldwide.
The Government of Lesotho has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for additional travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Travelers arriving at Moshoeshoe International Airport with no fever (body temperature under 37.5 degrees Celsius/99.5 degrees Fahrenheit) from countries affected by COVID-19 (including the United States) may be instructed by the government of Lesotho to self-isolate for 14 days. Travelers arriving at the airport with a fever and other respiratory signs and symptoms may be transported to an isolation facility for quarantine. Similar protocols may be applied at land border crossings.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Lesotho.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Seek medical care right away if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six weeks.
- U.S. Embassy Lesotho
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.