Eligibility for a CRBA

All routine services, including Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA), are available by APPOINTMENT ONLY.

Below you will find information on how to register a child born in Lesotho as a U.S. citizen. If after thoroughly reading this page you have any questions, please email: USConsularMaseru@state.gov.

Once you have completed all of the required forms and gathered the necessary supporting documents, please click here to make your appointment.

On the day of your interview, the package will be reviewed at intake to ensure that all required documents have been submitted.

If any required documents are missing, you may be turned away and required to make another appointment.  Please review the information below carefully to avoid multiple appointments.

After the forms have been accepted and the fees paid, a Consular Officer will interview you. Once approved, the Consular Report of Birth Abroad will generally be ready for pick-up in 4–5 weeks.

Note: Embassy Maseru can approve or deny CRBA applications only for children born in Lesotho. If a child was born in another country, we can only collect the application and supporting documents and forward them to the U.S. Embassy in the country of birth for adjudication.


Passport Application $105.00
Consular Report of Birth Abroad Application $100.00
Total: $205.00

Payment is due at the time the application is submitted, and is payable by cash, dollars or Maloti/Rand. The fees above include any applicable passport processing, execution and security fees. By law these fees are NON-REFUNDABLE.

Application Process and Required Documents

To process a child’s claim to U.S. citizenship, the American citizen parent must:

  1. establish that s/he is the biological parent,
  2. present proof of sufficient physical presence in the United States, and
  3. show evidence to confirm the child’s identity.

The documents listed below are necessary to satisfy each of these three requirements. In certain cases, the Consular Officer may require supplemental documentation.

In addition, if the child was born out of wedlock and the biological father is a U.S. citizen, the child must be legitimized by the father before the child’s 18th birthday. Official and legal recognition is required, including an affidavit of paternity and a written agreement to provide financial support until the child reaches the age of 18 (see Affidavit of Parentage below).

Required Forms

Each of the following forms must be completed and submitted with the citizenship package. Do NOT sign the forms until you are instructed to do so before a Consular Officer. The forms can be found on the Department of State and Social Security Administration’s websites at:

  1. Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America: DS-2029 (PDF 64 KB).
    Note: When completing page two of the DS-2029 form please make sure that you account for all periods of time that you have been in the United States and abroad. Periods of time include residence, vacations, periods of study, employment, business trips, military services, etc. Periods of presence abroad include “day trips” to places like Canada and Mexico. Additional paper may be attached to the form.
  2. Application for a U.S. Passport: Form (PDF 100 KB)
  3. Application for a Social Security Card (for children under the age of 5): ss-5 (PDF 132 KB)

Required Supporting Documents

  • The child’s original birth certificate issued from the Civil Registry.
  • A written statement from the physician who attended the birth, stating the name of the mother and pertinent facts of the birth. In the case of a child born in one of Lesotho’s public hospitals, a statement from the hospital director that one of its physicians attended the birth is sufficient.
  • A certified copy of the marriage certificate of the parents, if applicable. If the marriage took place in Lesotho, this document must be obtained from the Civil Registry.
  • If either parent has been married previously, certified copies of the documents showing termination (through death or divorce) of all previous marriages.
  • Evidence of parent’s (or parents’) U.S. citizenship (a U.S. passport and/or a naturalization certificate). Note: The American citizen parent must have obtained citizenship prior to the child’s birth in order to transmit citizenship through this process.
  • Proof of identification of the non-U.S. citizen parent (national ID card or passport).
  • Evidence of the U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the United States for the required period, as determined by law (specific time requirements are listed below).
    Note: Physical presence accrued after the child’s birth cannot be used to meet this requirement.Examples of documents that can be used to show physical presence include, but are not limited to, the following: school records; childhood immunization records; college transcripts; U.S. military service records; paystubs and tax records (must be able to show that the work was performed in the U.S.); employment certification letters; or old passports.
  • Evidence of a biological relationship between the U.S. citizen parent and the child. If the child was born in-wedlock or born to a U.S. citizen mother, the biological relationship generally can be demonstrated through medical records pertaining to the pregnancy, such as pre-natal care records, ultrasounds, and pregnancy photos.If the child was born out-of-wedlock to a U.S. citizen father, satisfactory evidence of an exclusive relationship with the mother must be presented (e.g., relationship photos, evidence of cohabitation, shared travel history, joint accounts, etc.). If this evidence is insufficient, DNA testing may be requested.
  • One passport photo (2”X2”) on a white background. Instant and digital photos are not acceptable.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) Application Checklist