Applying for a U.S. passport while outside the United States is a different process from applying for a U.S. passport while inside the United States. Although the application forms, supporting documentation, costs and finished products are the same everywhere, each U.S. Embassy and Consulate has different procedures for submitting and processing your final documents. The Consular section in Maseru process United States passport applications. Currently the processing time for most regular passports is seven to ten business days.
Where to Apply
The Consular section in Maseru process United States passport applications. Currently the processing time for most regular passports is seven to ten business days. Passport applications must be submitted by appointment only.
Applicants under 16 years of age must appear in person at the Embassy with both parents.
For minor passport applications, please also bring the child’s official original unabridged birth certificate as well. Minor applicants who may have changed drastically in physical appearance are advised to bring photos showing the child in the years since the previous passport.
You must appear personally at the Embassy if you:
- Are applying for your first passport
- Are replacing a lost or stolen passport (PDF 51 KB)
- Your last passport was issued before you were 16 years old
- It has been more than 15 years since your last passport was issued
- You are applying for an emergency passport (for immediate travel)
- You are applying for a child under the age of 16.
- Are replacing a damaged passport (follow same procedures as Applying for a Passport. Note: Please bring your damaged Passport in with your supporting documents).
If you are coming to the Embassy to apply for a passport and do not fit any of the criteria above you may use the DS-82 passport application.
Please bring to your appointment the following items:
- Application forms, including passport application from (see “Forms,” below)
- Proof of Identity (examples: previous passport, valid foreign passport, driver’s license, U.S. government issued I.D.).
- Proof of Citizenship (examples: previous passport, birth certificate from U.S., Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Certificate of Naturalization).
- Proper size/type of photo.
- The applicable fee. Cash only.
To receive your passport by mail, bring a self-addressed, prepaid return courier envelope so your passport can be sent back.
Please note that some of the instructions on forms DS-11 and DS-82 apply only to US citizens residing in the U.S. Should you require any further clarification or assistance with these forms, please contact the Consular section of US Embassy Maseru. Forms can be filled out online and then printed using the application wizard at https://pptform.state.gov/
- DS-11: Passport Application
- DS-64: Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport
- DS-82: Passport Renewal (and for changes more than one year after issuance)
- DS-2029: Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (PDF, 80 kb)
- DS-3053: Statement of Consent (must be notarized)
- DS-5504: U.S. Passport Re-Application (for changes within one year of issuance)
- DS 5507: Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence and Support
- SS-5: Application for Social Security Number (PDF, 80 kb)
Your photo is a vital part of your passport application. To learn more, review the information below on how to provide a suitable photo to avoid passport processing delays. The acceptance of your photo is always at the discretion of the U.S. passport agency. We recommend you use a professional passport photo service to ensure your photo meets all the requirements. Note: Photos must be 2″x2″ in size with a background that is uniform, plain and white, and free of shadows.
If you are applying for a U.S. Passport, you must provide one (1) photo. Your passport photo must be:
- In color
- Printed on photo quality paper
- 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size
- Sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (between 25 and 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head. View the Photo Composition Template for more size requirement details.
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
- Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
- Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
- With a neutral facial expression and both eyes open
- Taken in clothing that you normally wear on a daily basis:
- Uniforms should not be worn in your photo, except religious clothing that is worn daily.
- Do not wear a hat or head covering that obscures the hair or hairline, unless worn daily for a religious purpose. Your full face must be visible, and the head covering must not cast any shadows on your face.
- Headphones, wireless hands-free devices or similar items are not acceptable in your photo.
- As of November 1, 2016, applicants may no longer wear eye glasses in their U.S. passport photos. Click here for tips on how to get a picture perfect passport photo.
- Review the Photo Examples to see examples of acceptable and unacceptable photos. Photos copied or digitally scanned from driver’s licenses or other official documents are not acceptable. In addition, snapshots, magazine photos, low quality vending machine or mobile phone photos, and full-length photographs are not acceptable.
The U.S. Embassy Maseru accepts U.S. dollars, Lesotho Loti, and South African Rand.
We do not accept personal checks, postal orders, or Eft payments.
- Adult (age 16 and over) first time applicant or replacement for lost/stolen: $145
- Adult (age 16 and over) for renewal: $110
- Passport Card (Minor): $15
- Passport Card (Adult): $30
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad: $100
- Notaria/Certified Copy: $50 per seal
- Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship: $2350
View a complete list of fees for consular services, please click here.